It's a Girl~

It's a Girl~

Saturday, October 13, 2012

a "Low"

Sometimes I forget that I am diabetic. Okay, probably most the time. In fact, I forget to take my medicine sometimes so that proves I forget. But I really don't. And I really can't complain about it because it has not taken over my life or thoughts. But some days I cannot forget.

Like today. One of the worst feelings about being diabetic (besides the knowledge that it will be my whole lifetime, that I will probably go on insulin soon, that I might not be done having kids when I am finished, and that I could die at a way younger age than I was thinking...) is the feeling of having a low. A "low" is when your blood sugar is too low. I had one this morning.

Imagine the feeling after just giving birth with an epidural when your body uncontrollably shakes. It is a nasty feeling and you cannot stop it.

Along with that imagine kind of a dizzying effect on your brain.

Also, the feeling just after you throw up when you feel really weak and sick.

That is what I feel when I have a "low." Sometimes I just don't think about eating. Or I can't remember when I ate last. Not so good when you are diabetic.

When you have a "high" it has similar feelings except for the shaking. And I usually feel really sleepy and sick.

But it is WAY more dangerous to have a low than a high. Your body starts to shut down. I hate it. I guess I need to remember to eat :)

...

And I guess I would not have made a good pioneer eh? :)

3 comments:

  1. yea, you need to be careful and watch yourself...maybe keep a journal? I visit teach two people that are diabetics. One is 96 (ha!) and has a nurse come over for insulin every day (she's skinny by the way), but she's pretty careful. The other lady is careful too, but her friend is not and has lost a limb...so be careful and you will be blessed. I love you. I didn't like seeing you "crash" just before sweet Sadie was born! We are always praying for you, sweet girl! Thanks for posting this, though, to remind us (sometimes we do forget too because you are doing so well or at least rarely bring it up). We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like fun. except for the whole getting sick part and having to watch your eating and having it your whole life part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Kristin told me abt your blog today and I love seeing your photos on face book, though my blogging and face booking are sporadic! I am so glad Matt found someone amazing to spend eternity with! Matt is a sweetheart and it's neat to read about you two even if I can't be close by! I consider the Hoffmans siblings, though I wish I was better at staying in touch! Thanks for your fun posts and updates!

    My husband is Fijian and is at a higher risk for diabetes and I like reading about health stuff. This summer Saki and I did the 6 week challenge from Dr Hyman's book http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com (we just got it from the library :) and on reading your post and I wondered if you had read it or heard of it. Knowing what you could have ahead of you I don't see why giving it a try wouldn't be more than worth it...eating healthy foods is good anyways :) and despite all the hype about it, it's really just basic stuff and balanced eating, but stricter guidelines if you are diabetic. Definitely worth a try!

    love to you and Matt and Sadie!

    ReplyDelete